Wednesday, August 26, 2009

For the students who were here last year ...

The group who was here last year and some of the readers of both years' blogs may be interested to hear who I ran into yesterday. Any guesses? Yep, Tolga, or "green shirt guy" (as those who had trouble with Turkish names may remember him). I laughed when I saw him, remembering the times we had last year! I had thought he would be long gone off to hunt for buried treasure (long story, but that was his plan the last time we saw him), but he was standing outside the Basilica Cistern the same as always.

I've also run into several other people we knew from last year, and it's been fun to reconnect. Interestingly all of them remembered me and seemed happy to see me and asked about how the rest of you were doing. So ... for last year's group, know that you are remembered by people here. Tosun (our guide for the second part of our time in Turkey last year) was very impressed with our students, so although he is the owner of the agency he works for and employs a number of other guides, he decided that he and his wife (Sayeste) would travel with and guide our group again this year for the last few days of our time here, because he "gets" that what we are doing is different from the average group, and I think it's more interesting to him to work with us.

So I send greetings from Istanbul to all of you who were here with us last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment