Monday, August 24, 2009

Advance team has arrived in Istanbul


OK, I admit it, the "advance team" is only me, but I've come to Istanbul a day early to prepare for the students' arrival tomorrow. I am getting transit passes for the students and setting up a lot of the details for some of the activities they will be doing here.

Our guide from last year met me at the hotel when I arrived, and he and his wife will be traveling with the group once we leave Istanbul. I think the students will enjoy him and his wife. Both are informed about Turkey and are able to talk intelligently about the issues facing the Turkish Republic today, and it's really helpful for the students to hear their views.

I have to say the weather here is gorgeous. There's a lovely breeze off the Bosphorus, and the temperature is just right. Last year it was pretty hot while the group was here, so this is a welcome relief.

Our hotel is in the old quarter of the city, only about a block from the Blue Mosque and Hippodrome and only a bit farther to the Haghia Sophia. We can see the minarets of the Blue Mosque from the roof terrace of our hotel.

The photo above is of the view of the Bosphorus from our hotel terrace. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the rest of the group tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. Hope you all made it there ok! I can't wait to hear everyone's first impressions of the Instanbul. L.

    ReplyDelete